Survived By is a 2D roguelike, bullet-hell MMO made by Human Head Studios. I have been playing the game recently and I've been so inspired by such an idea for a genre that I wanted to I decided to check out what I could gather from the Steam files to learn from the data that was stored locally on my machine. The results were pretty spectacular!
Lucky for me, I soon realized that I was looking at a Unity game. Looking through each script, I was amazed at how the game had been built. This was the first time I had ever dug into any game's files and I quickly discerned that I would need external tools to extract and comprehend as much of the data as I could.
I am not affiliated with the companies involved with Survived By and I am only doing this to learn from a studio perspective what it takes to make a game. I do not intend to redistribute nor profit from this endeavor in any way. In any event, the developers have taken precautions against this type of thing by obfuscating the networked code - arguably, the most important bit - so evaluation and tampering of the code is quite difficult (if not impossible) - regardless, rewriting the code to gain some arbitrary advantage in the game is not the intent of this project.
I have a document detailing my entire reverse-engineering process for the game as well as an explanation of how far I managed to get in exploring the internals of the game.
With that being said, here is a custom logo I made for the game as well as the animations for some of my favorite creatures. To my knowledge, some of these monsters don't even appear in-game! I threw together this title screen (that (obviously) has more work to be done) and over these next couple of September weeks I plan on recreating some of the core user interface, the logic for how bullets are shot in various patterns, and making an additional class to play.